Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving leftovers


We had a great Thanksgiving this year. We had Kim and Dennis and Lindsay and Ryan over (you really have to refer to married couples and blank and blank, even when listing with others). We were everybody's second dinner, which meant a lot of "give me a tiny bite of ..." and tons and tons of leftovers, but everybody had fun. And no one ate all of Dena's food, something that's happened in years past, which she's never forgotten, apparently.

Rob and I got the house clean -- well Rob did the cleaning, and I did the decorating. We have been making our Thanksgiving centerpiece out of a pumpkin every year since Rob first saw the idea on Martha. I still love how it looks. Lindsay proclaimed my "tablescape" much better than Sandra Lee's, which she said are too fussy. Lindsay has had too much time to sit around and realize how nice it is to sit around.

I'm now writing the weekly farmers market column for the Ventura County Star. I'll post the link when it's published. This is a labor of love for me, so I'm super-excited. I'm also getting a lot more work from the Star because they had to resort to layoffs. It's hard because I know the people who have been laid off and I hate benefiting from other people's misfortune. But the whole economy is in such turmoil and we each have to grab whatever we can.

Nonetheless, it was a Thanksgiving full of thanks this year for us. We made it through some bad stuff, but with any luck, we're on the track to being OK, which is a lot more than many of my friends can say. And whatever good fortune we get, we'll be sure to share as much as we can.

No comments: