Thursday, November 20, 2008

Trina's corn salad


I actually have a bunch of stuff that's backed up that I haven't gotten around to blogging.

Trina, Ryan's sister, got married last weekend in Big Bear. she invited Rob and me, but we couldn't go. I did, however, find out that I'd been volunteered to "help with the food" by Lindsay. But Lindsay and I have two completely different ideas of what "helping with the food" means.

Basically they needed a side dish to an eclectic menu that included empanadas. So I decided on a corn salad with chipotle/honey dressing. I wanted it to be served in individual portions nestled in bibb lettuce cups.

So I went out and bought about 20-plus packages of shucked corn and microwaved them, two at a time (wrap wet ear of corn in plastic wrap and microwave for one minute, then turn and microwave for an addition 50 seconds. Let sit for at least 5 minutes).

I then had to cut the kernels off of each year. I combined the corn with chopped peppers of assorted colors. It was a really tasty side dish, and Lindsay and Dorothy Guzik said it was a hit.

Corn and pepper salad with feta and chipotle/honey dressing

4 ears of corn, cooked as detailed above
1 bell pepper chopped
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese

Chipotle/honey dressing

1/3 cup red wine vinegar
2/3 cup canola oil
1 tablespoon pureed chipotle with adobo
1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons honey

Mix everything together using an immersible blender.

No comments: