Tuesday, November 18, 2008

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!



I've been searching for years for the perfect chocolate chip recipe and I've hit on what -- for me -- comes out the very best. I like a thin, crisp buttery cookie with a soft, goo-y interior.

I recently tried one of Cook's Illustrated test recipes for chocolate chip cookies and it needed improvement IMO. This recipe is the result of years of testing and reading. And, for me, it came out exactly the way I wanted it to.

Chocolate chip cookies

2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 package semi-sweet chocolate chips (I use Ghirardelli, which are amazing)
1 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped (optional)

Heat oven to 375. Melt butter by cutting in pieces and melting in heatproof bowl (I use my 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup). Cool butter for about 5 minutes. Mix together in separate bowl flour, baking soda and salt using a whisk, to fluff and mix. Cream butter and sugar. Add egg and flavorings and mix thoroughly. Add flour mixture and mix until combined. Add nuts and chocolate chips. Scoop by mounded teaspoon onto Silpat covered baking sheets. Cook for four minutes on middle rack of oven, one sheet at a time. Turn cookie sheet around and put back into oven for another 4 minutes. Let sit for 2 minutes after removing for oven, then place on cooking rack.


UPDATE: I took a plate of cookies to choir practice and they were DEVOURED. after the first one was gone, the rest disappeared faster than a 401K.

No comments: