Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Pre-holiday catchup



We have all the Christmas stuff up and are in the final countdowns to Christmas. Courtney, Dave and the boys couldn't make it out this year, but I'm going back to Dayton for a week after Christmas. Rob still has some inflammation in his eye and increased eye pressure, so flying probably isn't the best idea.

I have a lot more work for the Ventura County Star these days, especially because they just laid off a bunch of people. I'm not exactly comfortable that someone else's pain is my gain, but it's not as though I'm taking anything from anyone. And with the economic uncertainty being what it is these day, no one is blaming anyone for doing what they can to make a living.

I'm loving doing stories and taking pictures. Tomorrow, I'm off to see a group that plays kazoos and other instruments for seniors. I love doing senior stories. I've always enjoyed them, but now as I get closer and closer to my subject's age, I just seem to enjoy them, and their stories, more.

We had our Christmas concerts last weekend with the Ventura Master Chorale. It's turned out to be everything I'd hoped for and more. I just love having music back in my life. I'm also having a lot of fun getting "The Voice" back in shape. I read a bunch of stuff about Maria Kallas a long time ago, and she referred to her voice as "the Voice," almost like it was a third person. Sometimes I feel the same way about mine, although it does seem awfully conceited. I'm in no way comparing myself to Maria Kallas, although I do call her Tia Maria because she's a distant relative (by marriage), just to be pretentious. (Actually I only do that around Rob.)

Nonetheless, there are time when I feel my voice is an entity unto itself and it pretty much wants to do what it wants to do. Last weekend, however, it was behaving and I was able to go full-voice for the first time in a really long time. It felt so great. It's not something I can do often because my full voice can only be trotted out under very special circumstances. Otherwise it's an painful,ugly and very loud noise.

Singing Christmas music was such a treat this year. I got to sing at the San Buenaventura Mission, which was super-cool, and the St. John's Seminary in Camarillo, which has a really nice chapel.

Lindsay and Ryan are coping with their PTSD issues as best they can, with help. Lindsay has and Ryan have been hanging around more, which makes me very happy. In fact, at the risk of angering the jealous gods, I'm pretty happy these days and it's always important to celebrate the good times because they help get you through those times that aren't so great. I like to store away happy memories like a squirrel. They come in very handy when my head is racing with problems and fears.

No comments: