Thursday, January 01, 2009

I went back to Ohio

OK, so one funny story about my air travel. Since I have a knee replacement, I have to be hand-screened to get on a plane. The TSA ladies so far have been very pleasant about the whole thing. I explain that I was hit by a truck and have a titanium peg in my right ankle and a new knee. Then, I have to warn them that I have a lump on my hip because it looks as though I have something in my pocket. Of course, they then have to feel it up. Seriously. I think that's more than reason enough for Kaiser to pay to have it removed.

It was great to see Courtney and we had a really great time hanging out. Dave had to leave for a couple of days and it was just the two of us and the boys. I don't think we've connected like that for a long time, and it was great. It was also wonderful to bond with my grandsons, who are just adorable.

Cody has rejected Me-ma as a grandmom name and is sticking with the more traditional Gramma. He totally cracks me up. He's so eerily like the boys in my family, especially my brother Rodger, and very much like Rodger's son young Rodger (We tried calling him "little Rodger" but when he grew to 6'5" we all looked stupid). He's got that same piercing loud Gamblin voice that cuts through metal and he's headstrong and passionate.

Alex is a carbon copy of his dad. He's a sweet, pleasant little guy who just wants to smile and play. He's developed a justified insecurity about possessions because his brother takes pretty much everything away from him. He's not as big as Cody was at his age, but I don't think it's likely he will be small, given his genes. His dad and both granddads are all big men.

Courtney and I spent Saturday watching Lifetime movies, chatting and taking care of the boys. We ate all kinds of treats I bought and made. It was decadent and fun. Courtney also took me to the place she works as director of marketing. She showed me her office and gave me a tour of the assisted care facility. It's huge, and really quite nice. I was duly impressed and proud. My girls are my big So There to the world.

But I'm glad to be back in God's country here in Southern California, where we still have flowers in our gardens and leaves on our trees. The skies are blue and our lawns are green. In Dayton the dull brown landscape competes with the grim gray trees against a heavy gray sky. Day after dreary day. When I was a kid we read books by Piet Worm for my First Communion. The books took on all aspects of the Bible and Catholicism. The pictures were crude and black and white, but I still remember vividly the picture of Purgatory. It showed a man, standing small and alone in a huge field, with a threatening cloudy sky overhead. Just like Ohio.

No comments: