Sunday, August 03, 2008

The results are in




The results are in. I got a blue ribbon for the peach pie and a third place for the chocolate chip cookies. The rest got a Big Fat Nada. Oh well. There's no accounting for taste. Everyone who's had the cookies here has LOVED them and that's what counts.

I went to the fair for the results with Dena and Rob this year and they helped find all the entries. Dena was disgusted because the winning zucchini bread had chocolate chips, which just sounds gross and isn't any kind of zucchini bread I'd want. The winning sugar cookies had frosting, which I think is not the way to judge a sugar cookie. IMO it should be just the quality of cookie that's judged.

Anyway, we moved on and went to the commercial tent, which Rob loves and we had lunch. I was able to walk pretty well, although by the end I really needed to sit down and the ankle was quite tender. I'm just glad I can walk as much as I can.

I have one final surgery scheduled. It's to get rid of the lump on my hip. It's, big and round and looks like there's a baby's head on my hip. The doctors have drained it twice but it keeps coming back. Now they're going to try surgery. Some of the doctors think my bursa broke, but they're puzzled because it doesn't hurt as much as one would think a burst bursa should.

It should be an easy surgery, but I do have to go under general anesthesia again -- the third time this year. With any luck, this will be it and I'm all done with the surgeries. I just hope this doesn't make things worse like the first knee surgery did. Otherwise I just want to get it over with.

My garden is going crazy and I'm harvesting zucchinis and cucumbers. I made some zucchini fritters the other night and they turned out really quite well, especially after I added some Parmesan cheese. I ate them with sour cream and they were quite delicious.

Zucchini cheese fritters

1 large (from the garden) or 2 store-bought zucchini, shredded by food processor or by hand
4 tablespoons canola or other high-temperature oil. I used grapeseed oil.
1 large egg
1/4 cup flour
3 tablespoons fresh chopped dill
3 tablespoons fresh chopped Italian parsley
large pinch of salt
pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Heat oil in a large skillet and mix the rest of the ingredients. Spoon mounds onto hot skillet and flatten. Let cook about 5 to 6 minutes a side or until cooked through. Drain on paper towels and serve with dollops of sour cram and a dill garnish.

No comments: