Friday, August 15, 2008

Amputating The Lump


Ever since I was hit by the truck, I've had a big, old lump on my right hip. It just sits out there like a baby's head has been put under my skin. I've had it drained twice, to no avail, so my orthopedic surgeon finally had to go in surgically to try to get rid of the thing.

So last Monday, I had to go in for yet another surgery. Rob and I are becoming quite the surgery connoisseurs. The procedures themselves haven't been so bad, at least not the last two. Rob's eye is sore after and my hip was sore, but we really were hit hard by the anesthesia, which left us both feeling as though we'd been beaten up.

I could actually feel the build-up of lactic acid -- the chemical that makes muscles sore -- in my muscles and I was so sore I couldn't even lift my arms over my head. The pain was untouched by the Vicodin I was prescribed. In fact, it felt as though the Vicodin made it worse. I just felt as though I needed to be flushed out, so I drank a lot of water and by Day Three after the surgery, I was feeling much better.

Right now, the lump is draining, which is good, but it hasn't closed up yet. So I'm not supposed to be doing much moving around, although I did just bake a peach streusel bundt cake, but I can't sit around doing nothing.

This should be the final surgery for all the injuries I sustained in the accident. It will be nice to have a life that's free of doctor's appointments, surgeries and recoveries.

No comments: