Saturday, September 15, 2007

Fried green tomatoes and recovery

 

 
Posted by Picasa

It's been quite a week, with my operation countdown, insurance problems and, finally, the start of my recovery.

Two days before the scehduled surgery we received a call that there were problems with our insurance. It's not that it wasn't an easy problem to resolve, but it had to be resolved quickly and bureaucracies don't tend to move quickly, so it was stressful. I was already freaked out by my impending surgery -- as a naturally healthy person, I have little experience with illness or injury.

I did some cooking, making more zucchini bread and for dinner I decided to make fried green tomatoes, just because Rob had the idea of making a dinner/breakfast with steak and eggs. I've never actually made them, and my tomatoes were a little red, so they didn't come out too well becasue I generally don't likle the taste of cooked tomatoes that much.

My surgery went fine and I'm recovering. I can't put amy weight on my foot, which means I have to use crutches and my left knee is swollen and sore so it's hard to put all my weight on it. I discovered the office chair for the computer works as a good wheelchair and I'm scootching around in it. Rob is discovering why he never pursued a career in the helping fields as his having to wait on me is truly getting on his nerves. But he's really been great about the surgery and has been supportive and wonderful to have around. And, frankly I don't think I'd be as patient as he has been considering how much I have to ask him to do.

Fried green tomatoes

1 cup canola oil
4 green tomatoes, sliced into 1/4 slices
1 cup milk
3/4 cup cornmeal
3/4 cup flour
salt and pepper to taste

Heat the oil in a skillet until hot (it will be moving in the pan, but not smoking)
Dip tomato slices in milk and then in mixture of cornmeal, flour and seasonings. Fry on both sides until browned. Drain on paper towls and serve.

No comments: