Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Biscuits and gravy and other gross stuff

 

 
Posted by Picasa

My husband has serious food issues. Rob pretty much doesn't like food. He likes candy, some meat, potatoes, barbecued beans and canned peas and corn and that's about it. I'm seriously not exaggerating -- the guy is developmentally disabled when it comes to food in that he hasn't developed his palate since he was 10 and lived on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

One of the few things he DOES like are (is?) biscuits and gravy. Not the biscuits and sausage gravy served at most breakfast places, no, his majesty likes bacon gravy and biscuits.

When I first was introduced to biscuits and gravy as an adult living in Colorado, I was repulsed. It sounded disgusting to me -- heavy gravy over thick heavy biscuits. The food is beige, so it would look ugly. There just didn't seem to be anything appealing about the idea to me. I actually worked up the courage to try the dish and my opinion hasn't improved with time.

But Mr. Food-issues loves the stuff, so I learned to make it. I make it on the rare occasions that Rob begs and whines so much that I actually will go to the trouble of messing up the kitchen -- and this is a messy dish -- to serve something I won't eat. I taste it to make sure I have the seasonings right, but that's about it.

Here's the recipe. Enjoy it, because I don't.

Bacon biscuits and gravy

1 pound thick bacon fried and drained
flour
about 1 or 2 cups of milk
pepper
salt

Drain all but about 1/2 cup of the bacon grease. Add flour and whisk, forming a roux. Add milk slowly, whisking. Add until you have a nice, thick gravy. Add pepper and salt to taste. Make sure to make the gravy pepper-y enough.
Make a batch of rolled Bisquik biscuits, according to package directions. Serve the biscuits with gravy ladled on top with crumbled bacon on top of the whole mess.

No comments: