Saturday, December 30, 2006

Merry Christmas








First, I'd like to say that my grandson is the cutest baby in the world. Second, we had a great Christmas. Nothing dramatic. No Big Presents. It was just us and various family members. Rick and Marilyn came out to spend a Christmas in California with their sons and they stopped by.

I took Courtney, Dave and Cody to the Grove in Hollywood. The picture with Cody is hysterical. Poor squished baby!

We spent a quiet New Year's Eve and I made wings, including my Asian-inspired wings, which are my favorites. The other wings I make are classical Buffalo hot wings. I served these with the requisite celery and carrots with blue cheese dressing. I added some Trader Joe's small tacos, which people always like.

I also made my signature New Year's Eve dish, pigs feet with sauerkraut, but, as usual, no one wanted to share it with me. Too bad for them.

Asian chicken wings

Large, family pack of chicken wings, cut into sections, wing tips discarded
Canola oil
soy sauce (I use Kikkoman reduced sodium)
Kikkoman Aji-mirin sweet cooking rice wine
One bunch scallions cut into 1/2 inch pieces
Fresh ginger root, sliced, about 6 pieces

Pour canola oil into an iron skillet or a good electric skillet to about 1/2 inch in depth. Heat until hot, but not smoking. Fry wing sections for about 15 minutes on each side until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. You can bake the wings, but they don't tend to hold together well when they're mixed with the other ingredients. In a large wok mix wings with enough soy sauce and sweet wine to cover them completely. Add scallions and ginger root and heat through. Remove ginger root before serving.

No comments: