Thursday, August 20, 2009

Farewell fair

This is what fireworks look like through fog
Bird's eye view on a foggy night from the ferris wheel
Having fun at the fair

It's been a few days since the fair ended and I'm going through the same kind of letdown I go through after all events I eagerly anticipate, like Christmas. The fair grows each year in its important to me and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because it's the only county fair in California that's actually on the beach, although this year that wasn't a plus because the fog seemed relentless.

I was able to write eight fair stories, which meant that I went there for all of those and then I went back one more night on my own to take pictures. I couldn't enter the baked goods contest this year because the oven is down, but being able to talk to all the ladies at Home Arts who judge and run the contests was a great next best thing.

There were also some really fun stories, like the watermelon cracker eating/whistle blowing and the Eagle Scout who built the interactive exhibit. And the Penny family with their lovely, outgoing self-assured kids were a delight.

I realized this year that I was doing exactly what I want to be doing, which is going to these events and writing about them. On top of that, we were able to bring Kaia to the fair and had a great time w/her, although I had to leave early to cover the naming of the grand champion and reserve grand champion at the fair.

This is also the last week for the peaches. I've made peach preserves, brandied peach, no-sugar-added peach chutney.

So with the fair over, the peaches picked and pickled and my first first day of school, I suppose summer is unofficially over.

No comments: