Monday, May 11, 2009

Rocking and rolling

I don't believe in prayer. Not that I don't pray, every human prays. Oh please, please, please let ME be the winner. Oh dear God, please don't kill me now! I just don't believe those prayers are much more than wishful thinking articulated. There does seen to be some kind of order to the universe, but beyond that I have no idea.

Sometimes that order even seems to come about in your own life. Just a few weeks ago, I found out my stepfather had died. Now I come face-to-face via photo with my step-granddaughter Jessica.

Apparently Courtney was out with her friend and they ran into my stepson, Jesse, with whom Rob has been in touch sporadically, and infrequently through the years. Courtney and Jesse decided to meet up on Mother's Day in a park near where they live just a few miles apart in Bellbrook, Ohio. Jesse brought his daughter Jessica, who turned 7 on May 9 and Courtney brought Cody and Alex.

Jesse had mentioned a daughter before, but seeing pictures of her -- a really cute, dark-haired beauty -- really brought it home. Courtney said that she and Jesse were both a bit awkward around each other, but it's been many years since they spoke and, she said, it's time to put the past and its grudges behind.

I think Courtney gave both Rob and me one of the best Mother's day presents ever with those photos of all three grandchildren playing together in a park in Bellbrook. But sometimes it is odd how tings work out, with such a scripted perfection. Cool.

No comments: