Thursday, July 24, 2008

Doggie palace






We're still knee-deep in pets because Patty is feeling too porrly to have her girls come home just yet. It's great for us, though because the two nbew dogs are really sweet and have adjusted to living with us. We've switched their diet from the nasty generic dog food to dry Evo food, which we prefer because it's manufactured locally and uses all-natural products better suited for dogs.

I'm gearing up for the Ventura County Fair where I will, once again, be entering some baked goods. I'm thinking of adding a couple of entries -- zucchini bread because my zucchini has put out a really cool looking cojoined zucchini that's just dying to be put in a bread, and peanut butter cookies. I've narrowed down the sugar cookie recipe from five, so we'll see how the judges are going this year. My peaches are on track to give me at least one good pie's worth, which will be the first time in three years they ripened in time.

I don't know why I get all psyched for the stupid baked goods contest each year but I do. Even the fact that I got lousy -- for me -- marks last year (stupid honorable mentions), doesn't deter me. I totally get that these food contests are really arbitrary. I know because I've judged them. Like everybody, I rank foods on personal preferances, which are different from the next person's.
Nonetheless, I have a few tricks up my sleeve this year and hope I do well.

I've never figured out why I totally love the Ventura County Fair. I think it's the combination of things. I love that it's right on the ocean at Seaside Park. I love that there are all the local crafts, hobbies and foods. Rob and I love looking at all the different displays. We tend to avoid the animals because they're being sold to slaughter, which makes us sad, but we take Kaia there and don't tell her about the butchering part.

We also just love taking Kaia with us each year and get such joy out of watching her ride whatever she wants to ride and play whatever games she wants to play. When I was a kid, going to fairs and amusement parks was always a study in misery. My mom never gave us any money and she'd never let us ride on most of the rides. I always made sure my kids had enough money and unlimited opportunity to do whatever their little hearts desired. But I really get to relive my childhood with Kaia, probably because she's not my kid, so I don't have to play the mom role, I can just be a much older, doddering friend.

So next week it's time for the fair. There will be fireworks each night, which we can hear and kind of see from our house. It's my favorite part of the summer.

No comments: