Wednesday, April 16, 2008

They cut my knee off ...

 

 

 
Posted by Picasa

More to come when I'm feeling better, but, first, a description.
I made a fabulous Spaghetti alla Bollegnese, which filled the house with wonderful cooking smells and lifted my spirits. There's also a picture of The Machine that's at the center of my life right now. It's a CPM machine -- continuous passive movement machine, which basically moves my leg up and back to prevent the formation of scar tissue, which can completely undermine a knee replacement. I have to be strapped to it at least 8 hours a day. Finally, in my convalescence, Fuser has taken the role of his mommy's protector quite seriously.

A brief synopsis:

I made it through the knee replacement surgery just fine and spent five days in the hospital. It was a miserable experience overall, and now I'm home convalescing and they are sending what seems like an army, but is in fact, only two people, to the house for followup care -- one is a physical therapist who makes me do exercises that my poor, miserable body doesn't want to do and the other is a chatty home nurse who takes my vitals and will draw blood.

They have to monitor my Coumadin level. They give blood thinners to joint replacement patients to make sure they don't get blood clots, then they have to monitor how much you're taking to make sure you don't bleed out of your eyeballs (like Dennis Quaid's kids did).

Anyway life right now is lurching from pain to pain, so I'll write more when I'm more coherent.

No comments: