Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Christmas bells are ringing

 
Posted by Picasa


Rob has been bugging me for a while to make him "cookies that taste like brownies." I've made all sorts of chocolate cookies, but none has been "brownie-like" enough. So this year, I decided to do an online search for brownie cookies and was getting all set to make them when the Rob-ster came home with a package of brownie mix.

"They were on sale," he said.

I was pretty much going to ignore him and the mix and embark on a brownie cookie, after all I'm no Sandra Lee (the Semi-homemade lady) when I found a brownie mix cookie recipe. I decided to take that as a base and make cookies that tasted like brownies, only better. I decided to add some good Dutch-process cocoa because the brownie mix cocoa isn't nearly as good and I love the flavor of good cocoa. I also added some vanilla and a touch of almond flavoring, which really adds a special dimension to the cookies.

Then, in a moment of inspiration, I got the idea of rolling the cookies in confectioner's sugar before baking them. They really came out quite good. They're amazingly easy to make and I was able to take a picture before Rob finished devouring them.

Brownie cookies

1 pkg. fudge brownie mix
1/4 cup Dutch process cocoa (Such as Droste)
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup melted butter
3 tablespoons water
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup chocolate chips (optional) (you could also add peppermint pieces or butterscotch pieces)
Confectioner's sugar

Combine all ingredients, mixing by hand. Chill in refrigerator for at least a half an hour. Using two tablespoons, spoon out a one-inch ball of batter (it doesn't have to be a perfect ball, just a blob of batter will do) and roll it in confectioners sugar until the ball is coated (the cookie will become more ball-like as you roll it quickly using just one or two fingers. Place on cookie sheet lined with a Silpat mat or parchment paper. Bake until just set at 350 degrees, about 12 to 14 minutes. Cool for a minute and place on cookie racks to finish cooling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These are excellant and easy to make. I made my first batch last week. Three dozen were made last night for our Christmas Eve get together. yum