Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Alexander Robert Koverman



Born: June 18
10:13 a.m. EDT
7 pounds 3 ounces
21 inches
The newest Mr. Koverman decided the whole giving-birth-naturally was not dramatic enough for his bad self. So he decided to wrap himself in his umbilical cord, which he had knotted for good measure. This caused his vital signs to drop during contractions, so it was C-section time. Courtney said all and sundry were impressed by the level of tangling this one had done to his umbilical cord -- she always said during the pregnancy that this one made Cody seem calm. She complained a couple of times that she was sure he was coming out through her stomach wall -- kind of "Alien"-style. And, as she pointed out, he did finally achieve this goal.

Anyway Grandson No. 2 is here and appears healthy. He has a voracious appetite and has no interest in bottles and pacifiers, preferring the breast. This is more in line with my experience with his mother and her sister, both of whom refused formula from Day One.

I'm totally bummed that I can't be there. I have a hemotoma on my hip -- the one that was hit by a TRUCK -- and it's holding a couple of quarts of blood, the doctor estimated. There's also not a lot that can be done and the damned thing portrudes about four inches off my right side. My doctor says it will be a long time healing -- months and months. As if I need a few extra inches on my hips. I'm still pretty sore and have no stamina. The doctor says my blood count must be low what with all the bleeding. The whole thing is making me cranky.

I'll probably head out in early July (ewwwwwww! July in Ohio sucks). Cody met his new little brother and was seriously unimpressed. There was some generalized poking at the new "thing." Then he cuddled with mommy and his juice box.

Courtney is still in the hospital recovering from her emergency C-section. I imagine she must be getting quite bored by now. She and Dave need to move to California, so she can be closer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

congratulations all the way around!! well done! he's beautiful boy. how lucky you are, grandma and grandpa! hope you get to visit him soon.

love
jennifer