Thursday, August 03, 2006

The results are in

 
  Posted by Picasa

Every year I say I'm doing this in fun and each year -- OK this year and last, I get all torqued up when it's actually time to see how I did at the fair. Seriously. I had to take a pill. And this is just the county fair. Imagine if I were up for some big, televised award -- I'd die of an angst attack.

I rode my bike down there. I figure it's safer than me driving when I've worked myself all up into a state. It took me a while to find my entries. The first one I saw was the pie. A first place. Woooo Wooo. The pie didn't look as bad as it had earlier. I found the sugar cookies, my favorites this year, and they got a second place. The chocolate chip and oatmeal cookies didn't get anything.

It's a good showing and, frankly, I didn't feel the chocolate chip and oatmeal cookies were that good. That, however, does not stop me from noting that everyone else who ate them loved them -- especially the chocolate chip. So there!

But I'm thinking maybe pies are my thing ... maybe more pies and more first prizes. Oh yeah. I'm on my way to becoming one of the Grand Ladies of Ventura County baking: Peggy Russell of Ojai and Jeanne Walker of Oxnard step aside.

It was cool to see how many people had entered this year. There seemed to be more of a cross-section of people and a lot of names I'd never seen before.

Rob and I went and saw the fireworks, which will be set off nightly at 10 p.m. It was a clear night. I just love it here in the summer with the fair. I always took my vacation for the fair because it's so quintessentially summer.

No comments: