Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Springtime in Ohio





Rob and I went to Bellbrook, Ohio, to visit our grandson, Cody. He's six weeks, and completely adorable -- the cutest little baby ever.

Okie dokie, enough proud grandparent jabbering.

We had perfect, spring weather in Ohio. It really doesn't get much nicer. But I still wanted to come home to Ventura. I lived in Ohio for 14 years and formed a rather negative view of the state as a whole and the Dayton area in particular. First, there's the crappy weather. Sure, there are a few good days. But for the most part, it's overcast, too hot or too cold.

The architecture in the area is hideous, comprising square brick homes, Tudor monstrosities or aluminum siding gothic. The people, while seemingly gracious, tend to be clannish and unaccepting, or at least this was my experience.

But Ohio in the spring is lovely. And we arrived just in time for the lilacs, which are my favorite flower. We were able to travel through the countryside, which was all bucolic and Amish. We visited my brother and sister in law with the baby at his house out in the middle of nowhere, and the scenery was as nice as it gets.We also ended up hiking on another occasion in Yellow Springs (where Dave Chappelle lives, but we didn't see him).

One of the things I enjoy doing when I visit my daughter is to make big dinners that they can freeze. The last time I was there I made pot roast and lasagna. My pot roast recipe has been perfected over the years and yields an unbelievably delicious result. Some foodies would cringe at the use of onion soup mix, but it really adds to the depth of the flavors.

Pot Roast

1 3 to 4 pound chuck roast, well marbled (you can use any inexpensive cut of meat, but the chuck works best)
1 package Lipton onion soup mix
2 tablespoons flour
Carrots, peeled (I use the pre peeled little ones)
4 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
4 turnips, peeled, and cut in half
Red potatoes, cut in half or in quarters depending on their size
4 to 5 bay leaves
1 cup red wine
2 cups water

Preheat oven to 295 degrees.
Using a Reynold's oven bag, turkey size, place roast inside along with flour and soup mix and shake. Add all the vegetables. Close bag with supplied tab and poke bag several times with a knife. Place in a roasting pan and cook in oven for about three hours, or until meat falls apart.

No comments: