Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Fish market


Every Saturday morning, starting at 8 a.m. at the Ventura Harbor there's a Fisherman's Market. I wrote an article about it a few years ago for the local newspaper (were I was employed). I had always been perplexed by the California coast when I first arrived here almost nine years ago. I grew up in New Jersey. We spent time in Nantucket. I lived in Boston for awhile. I've even made my way to Florida a few times. The Atlantic seashore is chock-full of shops and restaurants featuring sea souvenirs and seafood. The Ventura County seacoast, on the other hand, almost seems unaware that there's an ocean nearby. There are some really nice homes on the beach -- a rather precarious endeavor in my opinion -- and there are some resorts. In Ventura there's a really cool pier with a good seafood restaurant on it. There are a couple more upscale places nearby. But it's nothing like the jam-packed, hopelessly tacky Eastern seashore of my youth.

There are junky places on the California coasts, but I don't visit them. I'm content with the Ventura County to Santa Barbara stretch of coast for the most part.

One of my favorite places to go in Ventura is the Ventura Harbor. There are a number of restaurants, a few shops, boat docks and entertainment on the weekends. The harbor backs to the ocean, with one of the most beautiful beaches I've seen, if you like rugged, natural beauty -- no groomed beaches here.

Andria's Seafood restaurant and market is located at the harbor. This is where the Fisherman's Market is held on Saturdays. Fresh catch from local boats is sold, and if you're not there at 8 sharp, you miss out on the best stuff. There is a lot of jostling for the best fish.

This past Saturday I scored some local shrimp and some unknown fish. I thought they were sand dabs at first and they could have been. I'll have to admit, I'm one of those unfortunate people who thinks she has to know everything -- or at least appear to know everything. I like to act like I'm at old hand at everything -- your basic Jane Cool. So I rarely ask about stuff and just try to overhear what other people say. It has occurred to me that unlike at least half the 20-somethings in Southern California, I don't have a film crew following me around and no one really cares about how cool I am, other than me -- and perhaps my husband, who refuses to be married to someone who's uncool. So now I ask more questions -- but in a really cool way.

The local shrimp are sold alive. I brought them home and boiled them in salted water with a few bay leaves thrown in. I cooked them until the shrimp were beginning to curl, but hadn't yet curled into a tight circle, which means they're overdone. After the cooked shrimp cooled, I cleaned them by taking off their heads. Shrimp heads are kind of cool. They are a great addition to fish stock, but they're also invaluable for having fun with the kids.

The first time I bought the shrimp, my squeamish daughter, who was around 19 at the time, started complaining about the insect-looking shrimp that were moving around in the bag. As I was beheading them (After cooking them), I got a great idea and put a shrimp head on each finger. I ran around the house after her making shrimp noises, or noises shrimps should make, and wiggling my fingers. Our landlord stopped by at that precise moment and the front door was open ... priceless.

Pacific shrimp are a lot redder than the shrimp traditionally sold in supermarkets. They tend to be on the small side. The peeled shrimp's texture is less firm on the outside, but the same as supermarket shrimp on the inside. These shrimp are sweeter than other shrimp, perhaps because they're fresher. Just boil them up, cool them down, whip up some sauces and serve. They are a treat. And fun for the whole family.

Traditional cocktail sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon prepared horseradish (not sauce) or to taste
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce or to taste.

Mix together, chill and serve

Mustard/tarragon sauce
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup hot mustard (I used Phillpe's mustard, which is super hot and is available at http://www.philippes.com)
1 teaspoon dried tarragon
Mix, chill and serve

Tarter sauce with a twist
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons dill relish
1 teaspoon capers
Tobasco sauce to taste
Mix, chill and serve

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love seafood, but in the midwest, it's hard to fresh seafood that doesn't cost a ton. But we do have really good fresh trout a tilapia. I'll have to try out your sauces. really, you should write a cookbook.

Anonymous said...

The Farmers market has excellent lobster (Now through March I beleive). Our lobster are spiny lobsters which means that you will get most of the meat from the tail (since ours don't have large pinching claws) but there are a few golden nuggets in them legs. Delicious!

Anonymous said...

The Fish Market in Ventura has great fish, but the service makes it not worth the trouble. I have never gone through so much effort just to be ignored & passed over. I think working with people is a lot harder for them then catching fish.